Grant, Loni, & Lydia


Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dog Bite

Here is the evidence of the infamous dog bite everyone has been asking me about. I guess I should feel comforted in the fact that people are concerned about my health and safety rather than just pointing and staring at the hideousness that is the back of my leg.

It's really not that bad. It looks much worse than it feels. I'm not sure why it bruised so bad, the dog barely broke the skin. The cuts and scrapes have mostly healed, I didn't get a picture of the wound fresh. But it sure did a number on my leg. That's for sure.
The story goes like this. I was on my daily walk with my friend Brittany and our two little girls. We always walk up 850 West on our way to the Provo River trail. While on that street a dog came running up to us, barking and sounding really angry. He kept following us for quite a while down the road, barking all the while, then finally decided to leave us alone. After we walked the trail, we took that same road home, as usual. The dog was still out there, but this time there was an older man outside, too. The dog came after us again, and the man was yelling at the dog to come back. After four or five times of the dog returning to the man, then charging us again, it bit me. The man apologized, but I didn't stay to ask him any questions about the dog. I just wanted to get out of there, especially with small babes in the strollers! It was crazy. It hurt pretty bad, but I was mostly just really angry. Why didn't the man just grab that dumb dog!
I finally called Animal Control yesterday and reported it. A police officer showed up at my door and asked me to submit a statement and sign with my contact info. He said he went to the address I provided where the dog was, and the guy there said it wasn't his dog and he didn't know anything about it---likely story. The officer said that hopefully it won't go to court, but if it does, I should be prepared to testify. What?!?!? Wow, I'm not sure if all of this was worth it! I just wanted to make the authorities aware of the situation. A dog like that had no business being out in a front yard without a leash. Anyway, what's done is done. He did tell me, however, that it is actually a violation NOT to report an incident like this. So, if any of you ever have the pleasure of a dog attack, don't hesitate to call the authorities. They want to know about it.
You learn something new everday, right?

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Loni!!! That's awful!! What a crazy dog!! I'm so sorry & I totally wouldn't have even thought to report it. But, now I know I should!! Way to go girl!! :) That's awesome! :) You protect your sweet baby girl! I'm sorry you got attacked though. That looks like it totally hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I have seen that dog. We go down the same street, but it usually is a lady out with it. We always cross over to the other side if it is out there.
    I am so sorry, I will come support you if you have to appear in court. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you called then, Loni! Not just because it's a violation not to, but because it does look bad, and I'd be flaming mad too! I probably would have just cussed the guy out right there for not keeping his dog on a leash. :) (You can picture me cussing, right?)

    Thanks for inviting us to the party - I thought the theme was darling. Sorry we had to cut out early! Can't wait to see you gals Tuesday though!

    ReplyDelete